Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Our trip to NYC

This year one of my goals was to make it to New York City with the girls to see the tree and the window display at Saks Fifth Avenue and tour the sites. I love NYC and Erica shares that love with me. Megan likes it but she gets afraid of the homeless people and expects to find them on every street corner.

Well anyway we didn't make it before Christmas but we made it the Saturday after New Years. The weather was COLD but didn't slow us down.

We drove in through the Lincoln Tunnel and this is what I saw out the front window, as usual.....


We drove around for a while trying to find a parking space instead of using the parking garage and we got very, very lucky (or blessed) and found on the street parking with a parking kiosk and it only cost us $9 for the entire day! You know that doesn't happen often in NYC. We parked right around the corner from:

The first place we went was to Rockefeller Center to see the tree. The tree actually came from Hamilton New Jersey which is about 30 minutes from where I live. I was not overly impressed with the tree this year, it seemed very droopy. It had been up over a month by the time we saw it, so that could have been why. But here are a couple shots:




Next we went to St. Patrick's Cathedral. The girls were very mesmerized by how big it was. Of course they now both dream of having their weddings there. The problem with that scenario is not only that we're not Catholic, but we're not rich or famous. Erica got much better pictures with her camera phone then I actually got with my camera. Here are two:


After that we went to lunch. Being in New York City we had the choice of cuisine from dozens of countries, famous places, dives, any kind of food imaginable....but we went to:
I know......lame!

Now that we had been "cultured" by visiting St. Patrick's and fed by McDonald's we were ready to get walking. Our points of interest were dictated my preteen daughter!
Diamonds are a girl's best friend (even a preteen)
Juicy Couture is her new obsession.

During our visit we came across a very interesting piece of art. I walked up to the guy and he said that he was a living art exhibit and that he (the guy inside) was the artist. Oh you can see anything in New York City!


Our feet were getting pretty tired so we jumped in the car and Jeff took us around the city to show us the different jobs he is working on in the city. This is one of them.

And no trip to New York City is complete without a visit to Times Square.

It's not a great shot but here's the Naked Cowboy in Time Square. He definitely was earning his money that day, because like I said, it was COLD. And by the way.....I have a Naked Cowboy story to share with you, but I'll save that for another day.

5 comments:

Busy Mom in CA January 28, 2009 at 5:19 PM  

There's nothing like NYC at Christmas. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Did you get a knock-off purse? Or at least a pretzel? LOL Glad to see you back in blogworld

Sue January 28, 2009 at 5:31 PM  

Oh I planned to get a purse but Megan got the purse. Jeff and Erica got hats and I got a "dirty water dog". LOL

Lois Christensen January 28, 2009 at 5:34 PM  

So nice to see you back! Loved all the pictures! We've been meaning to get into the city for some time now, maybe next year. We're actually closer to Philadelphia and haven't been there since before we were married!

A House FULL of Grace January 28, 2009 at 7:45 PM  

Welcome back! I loved your story in pictures...brings back a lot of great memories of a wonderful City.

We took the kids into Seattle before Christmas to "do" the Christmas tour. As we were driving up the street to our $5 parking garage (sorry, but it's true!), AJ exclaimed "Dad I love New York City!" I briefly saw horror cross Steve's face before he proceeded to tell his son that this was definitely NOT New York City!

~Crystal~ January 30, 2009 at 4:28 AM  

So fun! Oh, how I want to go back for a visit!
I can not believe you ate McDonald's...For shame. ;)

Hmmmmmmm........ 2008 © Blog Design 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

Back to TOP